Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Reaction to "The Importance of Creativity"

Wow! Ken Robinson is amazing! His points with education and use of humor kept my attention throughout the entire 20 minute video. At first I was dreading watching it, but as soon as it started, I became captivated. When he said he was from Stratford upon Avon, I loved it! I have spent a weekend there before, and it is amazing! It was very interesting when he said said, "that children who are starting school this year, will be retiring in 2065." We do not know what the world will be like then, so we are educating children for world that we know nothing of. This is one of many extremely fascinating things he spoke about.

Ken said he believes that, "Creativity is as important as literacy in education." He really opened up my eyes as to truly how important it is to encourage creativity in children. I really struggle with creativity, such as painting. Painting is something that I have recently become really interested in, but I am not very good at it, actually I'm horrible. I still love it though, and hopefully one day the creative juices will begin flowing. While watching this video I realized why I am like I am. My family has joked for years about how much of a neat freak my mom use to be. When I was little and I would color a picture for her, as I was giving it to her I would say, "do you want me to just throw it away mom?" We laugh about it now, but I really think that it has effected my creativity in a bad way throughout the years. I really want to be the best possible teacher I can be, and encouraging the children to be creative is an important aspect of being a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment