Sunday, August 30, 2009

My thoughts on Podcasts

These are the 6 podcasts I listened to:

SMART board
Stuff You Should Know: 3 Innovations we need right now
Grammar Girls Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing:181GG Spacing Out, and Capitalization
The Art of Storytelling with Children: teaching children forgiveness in storytelling
Think Like A Leader: Dr. Larry S. Anderson
The Tenacious Teachers- Teaching Strategies for the Everyday Teachers

When I first started looking for podcasts, I was really unsure of what they actually were. I had never listened to a podcast before and was clueless about them. The first podcast I listened to was the SMART board podcast. It was awful. It was like I was listening to a morning show on the radio. I tried to skip around and listen to different SMART board podcasts thinking they would get better. I listened to a few minutes of about three different ones. They were all the same to me, horrible! I then began searching for an educational podcast that would interest me. I found one about 3 Innovations we need right now. It was extremely interesting. One of the innovations was a teleportation portal that could teleport us places quickly. Like they said, we are too complicated beings, but an interesting thought. There were many fascinating podcasts under this one.

I then continued to look around under the educational podcasts, and I found one called Grammar Girl. I struggle a little with grammar, so this peaked my interest immediately. Grammar Girl's voice was easy to listen to. I realized that it matters what someones voice sounds like during a podcast. Sometimes their voice is pleasant to listen to, while other voices are annoying. I really learned so much while listening to Grammar Girl's podcast. She makes new podcasts frequently, and they are all something to do with grammar, such as when to capitalize and where commas go. Another thing I liked about this podcast was the introduction was only about 35 seconds. Some podcast that I have listened to were a few minutes long, which is horrible. My attention needs to be grabbed at the beginning of a podcast or I am a lost cause!

I love books, so I got really excited when I found a podcast about storytelling. The introduction was only about a minute long, which caught my attention right away, then they went on to talk about how children love stories and it is a great way to teach them things like forgiveness for example. I learned so much while listening just to a short segment of this podcast. They also told a great story, and I love stories! I then found a podcast about being a leader. I think being a leader is so important, especially as a teacher. They made many good points about how a leader is suppose to act and treat others. I found the mans voice in this podcast to be awful, but the two guest speakers were nice to listen to.

The very last podcast I listened to was about being a tenacious teacher. The teacher that was interviewed during this podcast happened to be Vikki Davis, the teacher with the Digiteam Dream Team, who was on the video we watched last week! I think she is an amazing teacher. I absolutely loved that fact that she was on the podcast and I was unaware of it when I first began listening to it. I learned so much while listening to segments of all of these podcasts. In my opinion, there are a few things that make a podcast good or bad. The persons voice, whether it is pleasant not, the length of the introduction, and the material itself. These are all important things to think about when making a podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment